NC Vital Records: Forms
The forms listed below are in PDF format. You will need a PDF reader, such as Adobe Acrobat Reader, to use them and save copies to your machine. Note that not all web browsers handle opening of PDF files in the same manner. If you have problems opening the form from your web browser, try downloading or saving the document to your computer first (right-click on the link and select "Save link as") and then opening the saved document on your machine from within your PDF reader (i.e., File > Open).
If you are looking for another vital record form, please contact us at 919-733-3000.
Birth Certificates (and Delayed Birth Certificates)
- Application for a Copy of a North Carolina Birth Certificate (PDF, 757 KB)
- Note: For a delayed birth certificate, a search must first be conducted by our office to determine whether a certificate already exists, before the county register of deeds where the birth occurred can proceed. See the Delayed Birth Certificates page for more explanation of the process and fees for obtaining a delayed birth certificate.
Death, Marriage, or Divorce Certificates
Changes to Birth or Death Certificates
- Request to Amend a Record (PDF, 701 KB) - This form is used only to make an amendment request and does not authorize any changes to the record. After we receive your amendment request form with the requested change and the fee, we will evaluate your request and respond in writing with further instructions.
- For marriage certificate changes, contact the county register of deeds where the marriage license was issued.
- For divorce certificate changes, contact the county clerk of court where the divorce was filed.
Report of Fetal Death and/or Certificate of Birth Resulting in Stillbirth
- Application for a Copy of a North Carolina Report of Fetal Death and/or Certificate of Birth Resulting in Stillbirth (PDF, 329 KB)
Last Modified: May 16, 2021