NC Vital Records: Order a Certificate
- Walk-in (in-person) service is temporarily suspended due to COVID-19, but as noted above will resume on 2/1/2022 by appointment only.
- If you need to change an existing record, see the Change a Record page.
Follow the guidance below to place a standard order for a certificate (birth, death, marriage, divorce, or fetal death report). Forms, processing times, typical fees, payment, and mailing instructions are included.
Place an Order: Ordering Options
Online Orders through VitalChek
The current processing time for online or phone orders placed through VitalChek is 3-4 months.
Use the button link below to order online through VitalChek.
Or Call Toll-Free
1-800-669-8310 (Outside the U.S., call 1-615-372-6800)
- VitalChek is an independent service. VitalChek charges a processing fee, and all major credit cards are accepted, including American Express, Discover, MasterCard or VISA. VitalChek also accepts personal checks.
- You will be asked to provide your credit card number and its expiration date.
- Provide all the necessary certificate information along with a street address (no APO, FPO, or PO Boxes) where the certificate can be delivered.
- If you choose the UPS overnight option, someone must be available at the address provided to sign for receipt of the document(s).
Online and Phone Order Processing Fees
|NC State Search Fee (includes one certificate)*||$24.00|
|VitalChek Processing Fee||$12.70|
|Regular Shipping (USPS)||$0.00|
|Optional Overnight Shipping within continental U.S. (UPS)**||$20.00|
|TOTAL (Regular Shipping/Overnight)||$36.70/$56.70|
* Includes one certificate if the record is located. Search fees and expedite fees are non-refundable even if a record is not located when searching based on the information provided by the applicant.
** Documents will be shipped after the state search process is complete. Processing times may be found on the processing dates page.
Birth, death and marriage certificates may be obtained at the Register of Deeds (ROD) office in the county where the event took place. In most cases, certificates may be obtained from the Register of Deeds on the same day.
Walk-in (in-person) service is by appointment only. Expedited processing fees ($15) will apply in addition to the fees assessed for the service you are requesting. To make an appointment for expedited certificate purchase walk-in services only (beginning 2/01/22), please use the NC Vital Records Appointments calendar or call 919-792-5982.
Note: At this time, NCOVR is not accepting appointments for amendments or delayed registration of birth.
The current processing time for mailed-in certificate orders is 6 months to 1 year.
To Place an Order
- Complete, print, and sign the appropriate form below.
- Include a $24 money order, certified check, or business check (not a personal check) for the first copy of the certificate and $15 for each additional certificate.
- Make payment to "NC Vital Records".
- Do NOT send cash.
- Do NOT send an expedited fee. Expedite service is currently only available by visiting us at the state office. If you would like to obtain your certificate in person, please make an appointment at NC Vital Records Appointments. Alternatively, you may visit the Register of Deeds office where the event occurred to obtain your certificate. In most cases, the Register of Deeds can provide a copy of your certificate on the same day.
- Do NOT send overpayment, as it may result in processing delays.
Mail the completed, signed form and payment to:
North Carolina Vital Records
ATTN: Certificate Orders
1903 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-1900
If no record is found, you will be sent a letter. The $24 search fee is nonrefundable even if a record is not located.
If you are looking for another vital record form, please see the forms page or contact us at 919-733-3000.
Standard Ordering Forms
Birth Certificate Application Form
- English (PDF, 940 KB)
Death, Marriage, and Divorce Certificate Application Form
- English (PDF, 572 KB)
Report of Fetal Death and Certificate of Birth Resulting in Stillbirth Application Form
- English (PDF, 597 KB)
You will need a PDF reader, such as Adobe Acrobat Reader, to use the forms and save copies to your machine. Note that not all web browsers handle opening of PDF files in the same manner. If you have problems opening the form from your web browser, try downloading or saving the document to your computer first (right-click on the link and select "Save link as") and then opening the saved document on your machine from within your PDF reader (i.e., File > Open).
Additional Ordering Information
- Birth Certificates: 1913-Present
- Death Certificates: 1930-Present
- Marriage Certificates: 1962-Present
- Divorce Certificates: 1958-Present
- Fetal Death Reports: 2001-Present
|Birth Certificate||Death Certificate||Marriage Record||Divorce Record||Fetal Death Report|
|Name||Name on certificate||Name on certificate||Names of applicants||Names of spouses||Name on report, if listed|
|Additional Names||Both parents’ full names||Both parents' full names|
|Date||Date of birth||Date of death||Date of marriage||Date of divorce||Date of delivery|
|Place||Place of birth (city or county in N.C.)||Place of death (city or county in N.C.)||Place where license was issued (city or county in N.C. )||Place of divorce (city or county in N.C.)||Place of delivery (city or county in N.C.)|
|Requestor’s relationship to the person(s) named on the document||Required for a certified copy.||Required for a certified copy.||Required for a certified copy.||Required for a certified copy.||Required for a certified copy.|
- Birth, death and marriage certificates may also be obtained at the Register of Deeds office in the county where the event took place.
- The only authorized 3rd-party site for North Carolina birth certificates is VitalChek.
- Please be aware that NC Vital Records is the only place to get a birth certificate for an adopted child.
- Divorce certificates may also be obtained from the clerk of court in the county where the divorce is filed.
Last Modified: January 19, 2022